Monday, June 1, 2009

Babies....

I have been wanting to post this conversation for a couple days because the mind of a 4 year old never stops turning!
Saturday evening after supper, we were just hanging out before the girls needed a bath. I was laying on the floor playing with Alyssa (who had since walked away to find Ross) so Ashley took advantage and came and layed in front of me-here is the conversation that followed:
Ashley- I want 2 babies.
Me- What do you mean, 2 babies?
Ashley- Alyssa and another baby in your tummy. How does a baby get in your tummy?
Me- Ummmm, well it just gets there
Ashley- (completely not satisfied with this answer) no, tell me, how does a baby get in your tummy?
Me- (not wanting to get into this at all, it was almost time for their bath) ask dad and see what he says!
Ashley- dad, DAD! How does a baby get in mommy's tummy?
Ross- (not really sure what to say) well, it just does.
Ashley- (a little frustrated that she is not getting a straight answer) that's not it dad, tell me all about how a baby gets into mommy's tummy!
Ross-(completely not ready for this) maybe later, I jump back in and try to help end this conversation....
Me- when you have a wedding then a baby in a mommy's tummy can just happen
Ashley- YOU HAVE TO HAVE A WEDDING AGAIN??? WHAT??!! (she loves weddings and this was somewhat of an acceptable answer)
Me/Ross- no, you just have 1 wedding and then you can have a baby in your tummy...
Ashley- oh
I guess that satisfied her enough for the moment- and Alyssa started getting into something of Ashley's. Nothing more was mentioned about wanting 2 babies- good, because that is NOT the plan!

Then, Sunday evening Ashley and I were sitting on the couch and she asked me this question:
Ashley- when I am a mom, who will be my dad? (sometimes this person is also referred to as "my prince")
Me- (had to think on this one for a moment) well, dad will always be your dad even when you are a mom... (then I figured out what she really meant) or do you mean who will you marry?
Ashley- yes, who will I have a wedding with?
Me- (Ross has just joined the conversation also) well, when you are older you will have to meet a boy and then maybe you will have a wedding- Ross- yes like maybe when you are 25 or older!
Ashley- maybe I should start looking
Me-you have a little time yet- now let's go brush your teeth for bed....

Stay tuned for more insights into the brain of an imaginative 4 year old girl!

2 comments:

Kim Lubbers said...

Kids are so innocent and sweet! When I saw the title of your post I thought you had an announcement:)

Anonymous said...

haha, this is way too cute!!